This weekend we ate at a fabulous low country cuisine restaurant in DC called Georgia Brown’s. On the brunch buffet they had a huge Apple Crumb skillet and Kris missed out on it because he was too nervous that it contained nuts (he’s allergic). I felt bad that he didn’t eat one of his favorite desserts, so I decided to make him a peach cobbler today since I haven’t done that for a couple years. I started following one recipe, and in the middle of it didn’t like the direction it was going so just started winging it. My go-to recipe is the Paula Deen recipe, but I wanted to try the recipe posted on Georgia Brown’s website.
I would say my final product used the peaches from Paula (with some slight adaptions because I was making it up after changing course) and the topping from GB. If you are looking for the thick cakey topping, stick with Paula for the whole recipe. If you like a crumb topping, use GBs. I don’t really even like peach cobbler so Kris was my trusty taste tester and he said it was good, but never really gives any constructive criticism.
Tip – when craving peach cobbler in the peach off season, use frozen peaches. My mom has used canned peaches to produce a result similar to the Paula Deen recipe – maybe I will try that next time.
Paula Deen’s Peach Cobbler
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
2 c sugar, divided
1/2 c water
8 T butter (I have used less)
1 1/2 c self-rising flour
1 1/2 c milk
Ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine peaches, 1 c sugar, and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Put the butter in a 3 qt baking dish and place in oven to melt.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix together remaining 1 c sugar, flour, and milk together.
6. Remove baking dish from oven and pour in flour mixture. Do not stir.
7. Slowly add in peaches, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
8. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. The batter will rise to the top during baking. You can place a baking sheet on the rack below if you are nervous about the baking dish bubbling over.
Georgia Brown’s Peach Cobbler
2 lb peeled, sliced peaches
1/2 c honey
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
4 oz cornstarch
2 T water
1 T cinnamon
1 stick butter
1 c oats
1 c flour
1 c brown sugar
1 c vanilla wafers, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and sugar a 13×9 in baking dish.
2. Place peaches, honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium or medium high heat.
3. When mixture boils, add cornstarch mixed with water and cinnamon. Stir until thickened and remove from heat.
4. For crumb topping, combine all ingredients together and toss well until mixed.
5. Place peach mixture in baking dish and cover with crumb topping.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly