Mean Spirited Censorship Pie/Kentucky Horse Race Pie/Derby Dessert
Funny story….I received notice from WordPress that they received a complaint from a law firm representing Kern’s Kitchen, a bakery in Louisville, Kentucky. Kern’s Kitchen claims ownership of the trademark on “Derby Pie” and alleges that the recipe I published on this site infringes on their trademark. They have been quite aggressive over the years in enforcing this trademark – suing restaurants and food companies…and now apparently moving on to websites.
Per the suggestion of WordPress, my pie is now to be called the Mean Spirited Censorship Pie. I hope everyone gives it a try someday as this recipe must be the real thing…just like my mom told me!
Mean Spirited Censorship Pie
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c flour
1 stick butter (melted)
2 T bourbon (I use vanilla instead)
6 oz chocolate chips
1 c broken pecans
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Beat eggs. Add in sugars and mix.
3. Add in remaining ingredients and combine well.
4. Divide between 2 pie shells
5. Bake for 1 hour – cover with foil if the pies start to brown, because a top layer will develop before the whole pie is set
6. If you want to make mini pies (using either tart shells or pie crusts in a muffin tin), bake for 30 min.