This past weekend I went to Richmond for my best friend Kathryn’s baby shower. She has been my friend ever since birth as our moms were friends when they were pregnant. We have done everything together from preschool to cheerleading to weddings and now babies (I still think Kathryn is mad at me for our Vegas wedding and she was the one person I was the most nervous to tell!). I always imagined that we would have babies at the same time so I am selfishly hoping this baby is a boy and we stand a chance of having a girls together so they can be best friends too!
Along with Kathryn’s friendship I also feel as if I am the 5th child of her family (whether they like it or not). Her parents have put up with me for years and always been there as my second family. I am still upset that Kathryn got a baby sister and I didn’t, but Lauren is the best fake sister I could ask for! I’m sure you’re waiting to see how this story is going to turn into food…well Mrs. Voorhees is one amazing cook and baker. She is the only mom I know that would have freshly cooked pasta still hot and waiting for us in the car to eat after school (and probably warmed plates to eat it on). On any given day in her kitchen there would be some of her homemade treats such as pound cake, chocolate chip cookies, oreo ice cream dessert, monkey bread or lemon bars. She sent me her lemon bar recipe after this past weekend and I couldn’t wait to try it.
I hope everyone has a great friend like Kathryn in their lives and an amazing family to make that friendship even better!
Mrs. Voorhees’ Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 c plus 2 T flour (separate)
- 1/4 c powdered sugar, plus extra for topping
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8×8 inch pan
- Mix together butter, 1 cup flour, and powdered sugar and pat into pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, beat together eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Fold in 2 T flour and baking powder.
- Pour on top of baked layer and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Once cool, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!