Tomato Pie (again)
I posted the tomato pie recipe on my old blogspot site and I figured it would be ok to post again. With tomatoes coming into season this is a great summertime side dish. I made this to serve with the Chapel Hill chicken that I took the office and it was a hit. I have tried making it without piecrust but it just wasn’t the same. If you are trying to cut calories just pick around the pie crust or maybe try doubling the tomatoes in a casserole dish so there is more substance.
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 4 0r 5 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 t garlic
- 1 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c mayonnaise (I use light)
- 1/4 c grated parmesean
- Place pie crust in a 9 in pie plate. Bake according to package directions.
- Remove pie crust from oven and sprinkle with 1/2 c mozzarella then cool.
- Meanwhile, drain tomato wedges on paper towels.
- When crust is cool, arrange tomato on top of melted mozzarella. Sprinkle with garlic and basil.
- Combine 1 c mozzarella, mayonnaise, and parmesan. Spread on top of tomatoes.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 min