Ziggy’s Dog Birthday Cake
I made my first dog-friendly cake! Our cat Rory and her best friend Ziggy, a golden retriever, both recently celebrated their first birthdays. We should all know by now I love making birthday cakes and certainly did not want Ziggy to feel left out. With the trend of gourmet pet bakeries, etc I figured there would be a dog cake recipe out there and with the help of a friend I found one that wasn’t totally repulsive or calling for off the wall ingredients. This cake has the appetizing flavors of beef and bacon…yum yum! I didn’t have time to shop for a bone shaped cake pan, but I think mine turned out pretty cute. I forgot to take a pic of Ziggy with his cake but here’s one of Ziggy and Rory when they were becoming friends. 🙂
Dog Birthday Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of strained beef baby food (I only found pureed – don’t think I will ever be feeding that to my kid!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- Cream together the butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
- Add flour and baking powder, mixing to combine. Stir in the bacon bits.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
- Bake at 350 oven for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly poked.
- For frosting – whip cream cheese until smooth. You can add peanut butter to the cream cheese too if you like. I then microwaved a little peanut butter to make it smooth for writing and made a bacon bits edge.