I have to admit I was skeptical of this dish the very first time Kris’ mom made it, but I think it was because it had mushrooms in it. Now she leaves out the mushrooms and it is DELICIOUS! It is a perfect side dish or even the main course, especially if you have vegetarian family members like we do. 🙂 I made this over the weekend so I would have leftovers to bring to work for lunch…it is equally as good or maybe better reheated.
I did try to eliminate the butter when I made it the first time and there was just something not right about it, but it was still good. It is much better with the butter but isn’t everything?
- 1 stick butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 4 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 t cayenne pepper (I probably added 1 t or less as I don’t like a lot of spice)
- 2 t cumin
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups grated white cheddar (I used maybe 2 cups of regular cheddar as it was what I had)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Saute butter, onion, red pepper and squash together.
- When onions become translucent, add in cumin and cayenne pepper and saute a few more minutes. Stir in black beans.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs. When veggies are done, remove from heat and stir in eggs and cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to a large baking dish and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes (I did 30 min).
I love my ghost and jack-o-lantern spatulas so figured since it was October they could make an appearance. 🙂