Chocolate Covered Peanut Clusters and Oreos
One of Kris’ family traditions is to make chocolate covered peanut clusters and chocolate covered Oreos. Since we are spending Christmas with my family this year I thought I would try to make these for Kris and to hand out as treats to my office. Working with chocolate is relatively easy, but I would get frustrated when I could dip them perfectly. I think I need to design a tool or look into what candy makers use because spoons and forks weren’t cutting it for me. Regardless of the appearance, the chocolate will still be delicious.
What are your family baking/candy traditions?? I just made a batch of my Grandmother’s Custard for us to enjoy, which I think is my all time favorite Christmas treat.
Chocolate Covered Peanuts/Oreos
- 2 bags white chocolate chips
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Oreos for dunking
- 24 oz jar unsalted dry roasted peanuts** (I actually used the cocktail style lightly salted, but think I will try regular salt next time per my father’s request)
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or bowl set over simmering water.
- **Jerrie’s instructions call for adding all of the peanuts to the chocolate, stirring, then dropping by spoonfuls on waxed paper. Allow to cool then refrigerate in a sealed container. I think she makes a separate batch of chocolate for Oreos.
- I used the chocolate first to dunk some Oreos (I used almost a full package – got tired of dunking and moved on to peanuts)
- Then I divided the chocolate into two bowls and mixed in the peanuts into one, and reserved the other chocolate. I didn’t measure how many peanuts I used, just sort of eyeballed it until the mixture was thick. I did not use the full jar.
- Drop peanuts by spoonfuls onto waxed paper – I made them too big so will scale it back a little next time.
- Once the clusters have cooled and firmed up, I reheated the reserved chocolate and dunked each cluster a second time for a thicker chocolate coating.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
I packaged these in a clear treat bag and tied with a ribbon – forgot to take a picture. I think I would like to experiment making these into turtles by adding caramel to the peanuts, but that may have to wait for next Christmas.