I have loved this frosting since my sophomore year of college, living on the sorority hall. My friend Lauren made a batch of brownies topped with this sinfully delicious frosting and I was hooked after the first bite. Luckily for me, that’s the year my sorority published a cookbook and Lauren added this recipe (lucky for you too).
This past weekend I baked brownies topped with the caramel frosting for a friend’s bake sale. It typically never fails me and taste-wise it didn’t, but I made it too runny so it didn’t set up firm enough, making a gooey mess. Either way they were still delicious so I hope there were a few buyers that took the risk.
Lauren’s Caramel Icing
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 T butter
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 c milk
- About 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Mix brown sugar, butter, and salt together in saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add in 1/4 cup of milk. Boil slowly for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add powdered sugar until frosting reaches a medium consistency – still able to pour. If too thick just add in a little more milk.
- Best over brownies and then refrigerate to allow frosting to set up for easier serving.
*My frosting didn’t set up as firm as normal since I added too much milk and didn’t have any extra powdered sugar to add back. Should be more like fudge after refrigerating.