Gooey Butter Cake
I posted the recipe before for Chocolate Gooey Cake and I believe Pumpkin Gooey Cake, but I recently made the plain/vanilla version and figured why not share it as well. This is super easy and always a hit. I think next time, I might add some lemon to the cream cheese mixture to get a gooey lemon bar result.
Gooey Butter Cake or St. Louis Gooey Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 2 sticks of butter – melted separately
- 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 box (16oz) powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix with 1 stick melted butter and 1 egg. Press into the bottom of a 13×9 cake pan.
- Use the same mixing bowl to then mix cream cheese with 2 eggs, 1 stick melted butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour on top of cake mix crust.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes – trying not to overbake. Cake will not be fully set in middle when done so that it stays gooey when cooled.
- Top with dusted powdered sugar or serve with ice cream or whipped cream
Variations: Use this basic base to make any flavor – mix in chocolate chips, toffee bits, any candy bar, etc. Like I mentioned before, next time I will try adding lemon.