I have never been a huge fan of caramel corn, but that is because I only had the kind that came in the jumbo popcorn tins. My Aunt made this for us while we were in Kentucky and it was delicious. I will warn you…it is addictive and not healthy!
- 2 sticks butter/margarine
- 2 c light brown sugar
- 1/2 c light karo syrup
- 1/2 t baking soda
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 to 3 bags popped popcorn – try to find a plain version
- In a saucepan, mix together butter, sugar and karo syrup. Stir constantly and let boil 5 minutes. This can also be done in the microwave!!
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and cream of tartar. This will cause the mixture to bubble up a little.
- On a greased baking sheet, spread popcorn out and try to remove all unpopped kernels.
- Pour caramel over popcorn and stir around. At this point the popcorn could be shaped into popcorn balls or left loose. Allow to cool and firm up (but I bet you can’t resist eating it right away!)
- **Add peanuts to make your own homemade version of Cracker Jacks