Tonight I decided to play with my food and make meatloaf cupcakes. I wanted to try out meatloaf in cupcake pans in order to have individual servings and then just got silly by “frosting” them with either mashed potatoes or cupcakes. I made my mashed potatoes a little too runny so that didn’t end up the best, but could be fun to put in a pastry bag with a tip and have a prettier end result.
I was a little nervous these would be extra greasy as I normally make my meatloaf on a broil pan or a rack inside a pan so that the fat can drip through, but they were fine after draining on paper towels. I also tried out a new trick with the meatloaf tonight that I read in a recipe…soaking the oatmeal in milk before adding to remaining ingredients. Not sure if it really did anything, so I think I will just stick to adding plain oatmeal from now on because I like the texture.
- 2 lb ground beef (I always try to get the 90/10 version if possible)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, diced
- Celery, diced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 t mustard
- Salt, pepper, and seasoning salt, 1 t each
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. If you want to try the oatmeal soak, add 1/2 cup milk to oatmeal first and let sit a few minutes.
- Shape into loaves (I usually do two and freeze one) or press into a cupcake tin that you have sprayed with nonstick spray. I yielded 12 cupcakes and then froze a mini-loaf for another day.
- Bake cupcake size for 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165.
- Remove from cupcake pan and drain on paper towels.