This eclair cake is one of my new favorite recipes! It combines 3 things I love…pudding, graham crackers, and chocolate. Recently I was really craving some cream puffs/eclairs and had been reading about making them, when I remembered I had this recipe that would be much easier and healthier.
I made this in the afternoon and ate it that night for dessert, but Kris and I both agree it was better the next day so try to make it the night before and resist if you can (easier said than done). I also made a half version of the recipe which I certainly won’t do again as I wanted more!
I’m providing you with 2 frosting recipes. I used the first one when making it but will try the second next time. They are just ever so slightly different and I want to see which is my favorite.
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 boxes instant vanilla or french vanilla pudding (I used sugar/fat free)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 8oz container cool whip
- Line a 9×13 casserole dish with a layer of graham crackers
- With an electric mixer, mix up pudding and milk. It is my personal opinion that pudding is best if you make it in a blender – it is the only way I can ever get it completely lump free.
- Fold cool whip into the pudding. I actually had some leftover heavy cream from a cheesecake recipe, so I whipped the cream and used it instead of using cool whip. I will use cool whip in the future though to keep it more waist friendly.
- Pour pudding over graham crackers and top with another layer of graham crackers.
- Top with chocolate frosting and refrigerate.
Chocolate Frosting #1
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 t vanilla
- In a small saucepan, mix together cocoa, sugar and milk over medium heat. Boil for a minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Allow to cool a few minutes before pouring over cake.
- Note: this could be done in the microwave instead of stovetop
Chocolate Frosting #2
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3 T butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 t light corn syrup
- 2 t vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, blend together sugar and cocoa. Mix in butter and milk.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla. Stir until creamy and then cover cake with the frosting.