I recently made this cake for my father-in-law as it is his birthday, he was in town, and he and Kris both share a love of all things apple. I forgot to take pictures of the cake after removing it from pan…sorry! The cake got great reviews, but I didn’t try it as I saved my calories for other junk food options. 🙂 This cake could be a regular cake served with ice cream or even viewed as a breakfast cake so give it a try.
This cake pan was one of my recent garage sale purchases…it was only $0.25!! I figure I just got my money’s worth right?
Apple Cake (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 6 apples – I used Golden Delicious but McIntosh were recommended
- 1 T cinnamon
- 5 T sugar
- Sift flour, then measure out 3 cups
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice – I used apple juice as that’s all I had
- 2 1/2 t vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional and I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a tube pan.
- Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Mix with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, juice, sugar and vanilla.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry, then add in eggs one at a time. Batter will be sort of thick.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the apples. Pour and spread remaining batter on top of apples and then top with remaining apples. (or more simply the order is batter, apples, batter, apples)
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until tester comes out clean.