I’ve made this coffee cake recipe a few times and always get great reviews. I typically make it in a 13×9 pan, but have made it into 2 round cakes before when I wanted to split the recipe between friends…shh don’t tell!
- 1 box cake mix – yellow or white (I used white because that is what I had…maybe yellow would be better)
- 1 6oz package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 c sour cream
- 3/4 c hot water
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- Nuts optional
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13×9 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and pudding.
- Mix in sour cream and hot water. Batter will be thick.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and oil, mix well and try to rid of all lumps.
- In a separate bowl combine cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Spread half of the cake batter into baking pan. Top with brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and then spread the remaining cake batter on top. With a knife or skewer swirl the batter and brown sugar mixture to spread throughout cake.
- For the crumb topping, combine sugars, cinnamon and flour. Stir in melted butter. Mixture will be very thick.
- With your fingers, crumble the topping over the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes. My oven took 45 minutes and then I turned off the oven and left the cake in there an additional 10 minutes.
- Before serving, mix together powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over cake.