Chocolate Caramel Bars
We are doing a cookie/dessert exchange and I wanted to try something new. I have thought about trying to make caramel for a while now but it always intimidates me. I found a post on Pinterest and figured I better give it a try. This recipe called for condensed milk so I thought it might be easier than the boiled sugar/cream method. Well it certainly isn’t hard, but even with stirring constantly I still had what appeared to be burnt bits throughout, but thank goodness it doesn’t taste burnt.
Overall I’d say these are pretty good, but I think the chocolate overpowers the caramel a little and the shortbread is a little too crumbly. The recipe I followed called for sea salt on top, which I didn’t have so I omitted, but maybe that would help. If you have any no fail or must try caramel recipes please send them my way!
Chocolate Caramel Bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 T light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I used regular semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1 T light corn syrup
- 1 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in flour and baking powder until combined. Will be sort of crumbly.
- Press evenly into baking dish
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown
- If the shortbread puffs up during baking, just press it down while warm out of the oven so it cools in an even layer
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pot. Using a candy thermometer, cook until it reaches the softball stage (240), stirring constantly.
- If it is not already the desired amber/caramel color, reduce heat and continue cooking until color is reached.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread layer and allow to cool. Be careful as hot caramel on skin burns!
- Note: I could really use some more instructions here as I wasn’t sure what temperature to cook it at to reach 240, i.e. do you boil, cook on low heat, etc.
- In a double boiler, or microwave, combine chocolate, butter and corn syrup until melted and smooth.
- Pour over caramel layer and allow to cool.
Slice and enjoy!