Blueberry Crumb Bars
July 15, 2015
Blueberry Crumb Bars ( recipe from Smitten Kitchen)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t salt (I omitted as I used salted butter)
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries (I think I used closer to 6)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 t cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine 1 cup white sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Blend in butter and egg with a pastry cutter or fork (I took a shortcut and used the food processor). Mixture will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the baking pan in an even layer, saving the other half for the topping.
- In another bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberries in an even layer over the crust, and then crumble the remaining dough on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes (mine took 55 min) until top crust is golden colored.
- Cool completely and cut into squares. I allowed them to chill in the refrigerator first and they cut perfectly.